What Is Nanotechnology?
Is it nano-bots or something out of a science fiction story? Not exactly.
Click to learn more!
SHINE acts as a regional hub to promote awareness of the principles of nanoscience among the public, middle and high school students, and STEM educators, while expanding the diversity and number of trained nanotechnicians entering the local workforce and/or transferring to pursue Nanotechnology education at four-year institutions.
How are we accomplishing this?
We believe that by introducing a diverse population of middle and high school students to a wide variety of Nanotechnology-related topics through inquiry-based demonstrations, and following up with consistent support and engagement activities for students who enroll in our program, we will be able to entice students of any age, gender, or race, and those with wide-ranging academic and professional goals to further their education in Nanotechnology.
Enticement Activities to "hook" future Nanotechnicians:
- NanoDemos- let us come to your classroom or after school program to introduce your students to nanotechnology!
- Single session or multi-session activities possible
- Demos designed to be tied into WA state EALRs
- Train the NanoTrainer Workshops
- 3-day summer workshop for HS and CC educators interested in bringing nanotechnology into their classrooms
- Stay tuned for application information!
Engagement Activities to give current students the best preparation for the field: